openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:32:06 GMT
At 09:38 24/06/2013 -0400, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>On 06/23/2013 12:08 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>>
>>>I am not sure what this is since I have never had any particular
>>>difficulty dealing with these things.... though I am not sure how
>>>one can understand that a particular single quote is an "inch
>>>mark" as opposed to a non-curly double quote.
>>
>>I think the reference to an "inch mark" is simply a way of
>>identifying your (typewriter-style) "non-curly" double quote.
>>
>>But Mr McGarrett does have a point, I think.  OpenOffice Writer
>>will replace typed single and double quotes with what it calls
>>custom quotes quite efficiently as you type.  But if you have
>>existing straight quotes in a document (perhaps in an inherited
>>document or in text pasted in from elsewhere), there appears to be
>>no easy way to apply that intelligence after the event.  You could
>>replace a straight quote with a curly one, but you'd have to select
>>manually the individual cases where you needed open and close
>>quotes: you cannot at this stage invoke Writer's ability to use its
>>intelligence about this.  In some other word processors (dare I
>>mention Microsoft Word if I promise to wash my mouth out?), you can
>>merely replace straight quotes with straight quotes: replacement is
>>treated the same way as typing, the same intelligence is invoked,
>>and curly quotes of the appropriate handedness are substituted en masse.
>
>Oh, now I get it.... WP will auto-magically replace straight quotes
>with curly quotes when you import a document. For most of what I do,
>that would really mess things up for me.

I'm not sure that's true: it's certainly not so for Microsoft
Word.  But if you replace straight quotes with the same thing in
Word, it will make the change then - so it is controllable.

>I did have one document, however, where I desired that behavior, so
>I wrote a macro to do it if I remember correctly; would have been
>nice to have had a built-in command to do it for me already.

You'll have noticed, I hope, that I've anyway been corrected: you
*can* do this easily in Writer, using Format | AutoCorrect > | Apply.

Brian Barker