openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:35:00 GMT
Hi,

Doug schrieb:
> On 06/22/2013 10:35 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>
> /snip/
>

>> If the WP lobby feel so strongly about not having "Reveal Codes", why don't they
do something about it and write an extension to do just that?

> Maybe it's because we're not programmers. We're people who just want to
> use a word processor without all the folderol of "styles." It may not
> have occurred to some OO/LO folks that most of us do not want to change
> styles or formats  all the time. Or, maybe, ever.  About the only
> formats I ever change are typeface, type size, and justification.
> Most of us are not writing advertizing copy, and we're not typesetters.
> We have no reason to keep fooling with different "styles."
>
> Now if OO and LO are so great, why can't they deal with curly quotes and
> apostrophes in imported text?

They can. The text needs to have paragraph style "Default". Then use
menu Format > AutoCorrect... > Apply. Of cause you need to enable the
replacement of straight quotes in the AutoCorrect options.

  I have to go thru and fix all the
> damned inch marks one by one by hand. WordPerfect can do that
> automatically. Not only that, it can differentiate between quote marks
> and real inch and foot designators. Let's see your OO/LO do that!

It will exchange U+OO22 to that quote marks you select in the
AutoCorrect options and the kind of replacement will depend on the
language. If a 'real inch' and a 'foot designator' is different from
sign U+0022, it will not be touched.

> If I remember correctly--I haven't looked at OO/LO in some time--they
> don't let you find and replace double spaces. Maybe they fixed that?

Simple find and replace works. I have not tested regular expressions.

> But I tend to work in Linux most often, so without WordPerfect, I have
> chosen the SoftMaker products. TextMaker works better, IMO, than either
> of the freebies, and it doesn't look so primitive, either. Oh, and
> there's now a free version of that, I hear.

They had an offer to download the previous version for free and had a
special price offer for the new version at begin of this year.

Kind regards
Regina