openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:38:35 GMT

On 06/23/2013 12:08 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 22:20 22/06/2013 -0400, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> At 14:44 22/06/2013 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>>> Now if OO and LO are so great, why can't they deal with curly quotes
>>> and apostrophes in imported text? I have to go thru and fix all the
>>> damned inch marks one by one by hand. WordPerfect can do that
>>> automatically. Not only that, it can differentiate between quote
>>> marks and real inch and foot designators. Let's see your OO/LO do that!
>>
>> I am not sure what this is since I have never had any particular
>> difficulty dealing with these things.... though I am not sure how one
>> can understand that a particular single quote is an "inch mark" as
>> opposed to a non-curly double quote.
>
> I think the reference to an "inch mark" is simply a way of identifying
> your (typewriter-style) "non-curly" double quote.
>
> But Mr McGarrett does have a point, I think.  OpenOffice Writer will
> replace typed single and double quotes with what it calls custom
> quotes quite efficiently as you type.  But if you have existing
> straight quotes in a document (perhaps in an inherited document or in
> text pasted in from elsewhere), there appears to be no easy way to
> apply that intelligence after the event.  You could replace a straight
> quote with a curly one, but you'd have to select manually the
> individual cases where you needed open and close quotes: you cannot at
> this stage invoke Writer's ability to use its intelligence about
> this.  In some other word processors (dare I mention Microsoft Word if
> I promise to wash my mouth out?), you can merely replace straight
> quotes with straight quotes: replacement is treated the same way as
> typing, the same intelligence is invoked, and curly quotes of the
> appropriate handedness are substituted en masse.
>
> Brian Barker

Oh, now I get it.... WP will auto-magically replace straight quotes with
curly quotes when you import a document. For most of what I do, that
would really mess things up for me. I did have one document, however,
where I desired that beahvior, so I wrote a macro to do it if I remember
correctly; would have been nice to have had a built-in command to do it
for me already.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php