openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Tamblyne <tambl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:29:38 GMT
Hi, Patricia --

Of course, you're going to be told -- and I can see that you already
have -- that "you're not doing it right."  Use styles.  Styles will,
apparently, take care everything, including promote world peace, as well
as fix all that's wrong with your document.

Perhaps if we asked for "reveal styles" instead of "reveal codes," we
could get some progress on this issue.  The View > Non-printing
characters doesn't help much unless what you're looking for is carriage
returns/line-feeds, as far as I can tell.  It certainly doesn't tell me
what styles are being applied to any given portion of the document.  And
it doesn't show formatting codes, either.

As an "old" WP user (and aren't we all, at this point?), I argued
passionately for this "enhancement" long ago.  The fact that we were
blown off then, and still are, is the reason I don't volunteer my time
to this project anymore.

The response to "use styles" doesn't solve the problem -- that being
that you can't tell where an applied style begins or ends when you have
a problem.  Wait until you get a horizontal line under all of your
paragraphs that you can't get rid of.  That's even more fun!  :-D  You
can spend time playing Document Detective -- or just CTRL-Z out of it
and come up with some other way to format your document the way YOU want
to.

As to your particular issue, this blue text is often automatically
applied to email addresses and hyperlinks, and you can change that under
"character styles."

As for reveal codes -- don't hold your breath.  :-)

Tam