openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:22:23 GMT
On 06/20/2013 07:54 PM, Patricia Hickin wrote:
> Is there any way to reveal codes in OO (the way you can in WordPerfect)?

We went thru this a couple of months ago. The short answer is NO! You
have to use something they call styles, which will change your whole
document, not just the particular framus you're trying to modify. They
have done this quite deliberately, and have no intention of ever
changing it. Probably in the styles there is something that will fix
your problem, but I refuse to deal with it. I have WordPerfect on a
Windows machine, and when I need to do serious writing, that's where I
go. For slightly less serious writing, I use TextMaker on the Linux
machine, from SoftMaker, which has both paid and free versions. I bought
the paid version about 8 months ago. I don't use OO or LO. Not because
of the styles problem. but because they are poor editing programs. And
also, they are primitive compared to WP and TM. (But, I confess, for any
serious work the styles problem would drive me shrieking away!)

OO _may_ become more user-friendly; they promised a few months ago to
incorporate much or most of IBM's Symphony, which at least is not
primitive. Last I tried Symphony, however, it was full of bugs.
(Symphony is a close cousin, anyway.) We'll see. . . .

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley