openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:09:05 GMT
     Hi Rob,

On 10.06.2013 14:44, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Regina is correct about the only two compressions.  As far as I know, there is no
way to control which compression is used.  (If you save with Password, all files are always
compressed.)  Most of the time DEFLATE is used (although there are two files that are not
usually compressed, apparently to make metadata mining simpler for non-encrypted packages).

>> There is currently no way to control the compression in AOO.  (The ODF specification
simply stipulates the compression that must be used when compression is done, not whether
compression is done for parts of unencrypted packages.)

> Does anyone know whether AOO is smart enough to not waste time trying
> to compress already compressed files, like PNG images?  This could
> make a big difference in presentations.

AFAIK Images are not compressed; i stumbled over this with the added SVG
format which is still added uncompressed (we have a task for it). HTH!

Sincerely,
     Armin

> -Rob
>

>> I don't think it is the compression that is responsible for the slow-downs, it has
to do with other work that goes on in order to save a file.

>> If you are careful about regularly saving manually while you are working, and you
work into a new copy so the starting version can't be damaged, you can disable auto-save to
avoid being interrupted in the midst of something you are doing.  There may be some glitches
that cause the time to increase in certain situations and those are caught from time to time.
 Using the latest version usually includes those improvements.  I suspect there are some other
performance issues around Save (and Auto-Save) that are more involved.