openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Richard Detwiler <RLSha...@aol.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 00:16:32 GMT
Girvin R. Herr wrote:

> Probably like you, I find the few seconds it takes to save the file
> irritating sometimes, especially since only about one keystroke is
> saved while it is going on. Worse, it seems destined (designed?) to
> pick a time that is the most irritating to me - just as I start
> something, rarely when I am just looking at what I have written and/or
> thinking about something. Better, would be to have the save go on in
> the background, while one continues working. If that is too dangerous,
> take a snapshot into a temporary file and save that - all in the
> background. One should not even be aware that a save is going on in
> the background. If it really bothers you, you can turn the autosave
> off in the Tools->Options dialog. I also check the "Always create
> backup file" (.bak) in the same dialog. This acts much like the old
> editors and word processors - saving the original before any editing
> takes place. The downside is the risk of losing a whole day's work,
> and the restore after LO crash function.
> Girvin Herr

I always have auto-save off for those reasons, and instead I'm in the
habit of very frequently saving the file (which takes about half a
second using Ctrl+S (on Windows, may be different on other operating
systems). That way, the save can happen when I want it to (like when I'm
looking at what I've written or thinking about something ...).

Also, I don't know if this is the case with auto-save, but when manually
saving, I'm pretty sure that things can not be "undone" prior to the
save. If this is indeed the case with auto-save, this is another very
good reason not to use it. You may have done something you really want
to undo, but if the auto-save happens, you can't. (Again, I'm not
positive whether this is the case with auto-save like with manual save,
but I'm guessing it may be.)