openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Girvin R. Herr" <girvin.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2013 20:15:14 GMT

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> When working with big files, in my case spreadsheets, but possibly
> other types of office files, saving the file will in some cases take a
> lot of time. This is particularly annoying when auto-saving is
> enabled. As I understand it, an ODF is a couple of files, most of them
> XML files, brought together in a single file, then compressed to the
> zip format.
>
> Does the ODF standard specify the compression ratio? If not, it would
> be convenient if the user could specify that. For example, if I prefer
> saving to be as fast as possible, I could specify no compression at
> all, just bring the files together in a tar-ball (if that's allowed)
> or as an uncompressed zip.
>
> I don't know how much of the required time to save a file is used for
> compression, but I imagine that there is room for speed enhancements
> here.
>
> If this is not the way to go, maybe the extension could change as
> well, indicating this is another file format, although conversion to
> and from ODF should be very straight forward…
>
> Thoughts about this?
>
> Personally I just thing that something must be done about the auto-save speed.
>
> And also, when opening a spreadsheet, ”adapting row heights”, what is
> that? Is that really necessary? Shouldn't row heights already be
> specified in the ODF file? It's maybe not the same subject, but in a
> way it is about time consuming saving and opening of different kinds
> of ODF files…
>

> Johnny Rosenberg

Probably like you, I find the few seconds it takes to save the file
irritating sometimes, especially since only about one keystroke is saved
while it is going on. Worse, it seems destined (designed?) to pick a
time that is the most irritating to me - just as I start something,
rarely when I am just looking at what I have written and/or thinking
about something. Better, would be to have the save go on in the
background, while one continues working. If that is too dangerous, take
a snapshot into a temporary file and save that - all in the background.
One should not even be aware that a save is going on in the background.
If it really bothers you, you can turn the autosave off in the
Tools->Options dialog. I also check the "Always create backup file"
(.bak) in the same dialog. This acts much like the old editors and word
processors - saving the original before any editing takes place. The
downside is the risk of losing a whole day's work, and the restore after
LO crash function.
Girvin Herr