openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ODF file formats vs Zip
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2013 18:41:19 GMT
Hi Johnny,

Johnny Rosenberg schrieb:
> When working with big files, in my case spreadsheets, but possibly
> other types of office files, saving the file will in some cases take a
> lot of time. This is particularly annoying when auto-saving is
> enabled. As I understand it, an ODF is a couple of files, most of them
> XML files, brought together in a single file, then compressed to the
> zip format.
>
> Does the ODF standard specify the compression ratio?

There are two methods possible STORED and DEFLATED, see
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part3.html,
section 2.2.

  If not, it would
> be convenient if the user could specify that. For example, if I prefer
> saving to be as fast as possible, I could specify no compression at
> all, just bring the files together in a tar-ball (if that's allowed)
> or as an uncompressed zip.
>
> I don't know how much of the required time to save a file is used for
> compression, but I imagine that there is room for speed enhancements
> here.
>
> If this is not the way to go, maybe the extension could change as
> well, indicating this is another file format, although conversion to
> and from ODF should be very straight forward…

Using another compression is still .zip file format.

ODF has a flat file format without container too. This is implemented in
LO but not in AOO. But in the flat format all pictures are stored in
base64, because there is no folder to store them in original format.

> Thoughts about this?

It would need tests to see, whether the method STORED is significant faster.

Kind regards
Regina