openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:04:48 GMT
Hi Hans Zybura,

On 04.06.2013 19:26, Hans Zybura wrote:
> Hi, comments inline...
>
> Crosspost to the api mailing list for a reason.
>
> Regards, Hans Zybura
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> [mailto:orwittmann@googlemail.com] Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013
>> 10:47 AM To: dev@openoffice.apache.org Subject: Re: [AOO 4.0]:
>> migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> small wrap-up at the top: - nobody prefers to migrate extensions
>> from AOO 3.4.x resp. OOo 3.x
>
> A couple of month ago there was a heated dispute about introducing
> incompatible changes for extensions in the addons.xcu (for negligible
> benefit). One of the arguments meant to silence the critics was:
> Well, it's no problem because we have an update mechanism for
> extensions. I expressed doubts if the update mechanism would work.
> Now it turns out I was wrong. I shouldn't have worried about the
> update mechanism. Without migration, users will have to find and
> reinstall all of their extensions anyway "by hand".

May be I should have said:
"Until now, nobody prefers to migrate extensions from AOO 3.4.x resp.
OOo 3.x".

> The current update mechanism for extensions simply looks for a newer
> version of the extension by use of a link provided by the extension
> developer himself. We did that for our extension, but didn't have to
> make use of it until now.
>
> OO developers decided not to take into account compatibility issues
> caused by introducing incompatible changes in addons.xcu. OK, so we
> have to deal with it. To prevent any trouble for our customers, we
> could very likely have provided an automatic update, so that an end
> user wouldn't have noticed any problem at all after a successful
> migration.
>
> Now OO developers are about to make it impossible for extension
> developers to simply provide an automatic update before or after the
> migration to AOO 4.0. Without migrating extensions, there is no
> automatic update path anymore.
>
> Great user experience! Great experience for extension developers and
> support folks!
>
> I remember much talk about the "eco system of AOO" on this mailing
> list. Is this what the talk was about?

I tried to get involved certain people on this topic.
I had send my intial post to dev@o.a.o and users@o.a.o. Sorry, that I
did not include api@o.a.o as I assumed that extension developers are
looking at dev@o.a.o.

The intention of this thread was not to present facts regarding the
development. It is meant to show on what I would like to work on for AOO
4.0 regarding the migration of the user profile and to get feedback on
it. (BTW, I had already started a discussion thread in January 2013
regarding the migration of the user profile - see thread "[IMPORTANT,
DISCUSS]: no migration/use of former user profile with AOO 4.0".)

I used terms like "I would like to ...", "My current preference is ..."
and "I need support and help ..." - I am not presenting facts.
I explicitly ask for help for these tasks.
I got no response and no feedback from users@o.a.o. I was disappointed
about it, because it means that nobody from users@o.a.o seems to be
interested to help/support me. From dev@o.a.o I only got feedback about
the risks of a user profile migration and that nobody prefers a
migration of the extensions.

I have taken your feedback as not constructive criticsm. Your feedback
sounds like that I decided that extensions will not be migrated. That is
not the case.
Earlier in January I already started a similar discussion - see above
mentioned thread. Here, no strong preferences regarding the migration of
extensions were given.
In this thread I expressed my willingness to work on the migration of
the user profile (which also contains the user installed extensions),
otherwise nothing will be migrated as stated in January. As this is not
a one-person show I asked for help and support. The only feedback I got
was that a migration might be risky and no one has preference to migrate
extensions.
Then I got your feedback which more or less killed my motivation to work
on the migration of the user profile.

May be you are volunteering to support me as you seem to be interested
in a working migration of the user profile?

Best regards, (a disappointed) Oliver.