openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2013 05:45:31 GMT
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 06:17:07 +0100
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 05:08:25 +0100
> Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com> wrote:

> > >I am not sure what this is since I have never had any particular
> > >difficulty dealing with these things.... though I am not sure how
> > >one can understand that a particular single quote is an "inch mark"
> > >as opposed to a non-curly double quote.
> >
> > I think the reference to an "inch mark" is simply a way of
> > identifying your (typewriter-style) "non-curly" double quote.
> >
> > But Mr McGarrett does have a point, I think.  OpenOffice Writer will
> > replace typed single and double quotes with what it calls custom
> > quotes quite efficiently as you type.  But if you have existing
> > straight quotes in a document (perhaps in an inherited document or in
> > text pasted in from elsewhere), there appears to be no easy way to
> > apply that intelligence after the event.  You could replace a
> > straight quote with a curly one, but you'd have to select manually
> > the individual cases where you needed open and close quotes: you
> > cannot at this stage invoke Writer's ability to use its intelligence
> > about this.  In some other word processors (dare I mention Microsoft
> > Word if I promise to wash my mouth out?), you can merely replace
> > straight quotes with straight quotes: replacement is treated the same
> > way as typing, the same intelligence is invoked, and curly quotes of
> > the appropriate handedness are substituted en masse.
> >
> If text is set to Default Paragraph style, either entire document or a selection, with
no applied direct formatting, /Format /Autocorrect /Apply or /Format /Autocorrrect /Apply
and Edit Changes will apply the autocorrect options as if one were typing.

> Inbuilt Find and Replace will allow searching/replacing Styles.
>
> Also inbuilt Find and Replace will allow one to do a few selective searches for quotes.
Leading double quotes usually occur after a paragraph mark or a space, and trailing quotes
after a .?!. So some selective F&R operations can sort the single/double quotes quickly.
 Extension AltSearch is a more powerful Search engine (recommended).

> One tip: in many versions (all? I haven't checked) of OpenOffice it can be difficult
(impossible?) to insert a curly quote into the Replace box from /Insert /Special Characters.
 I find it easiest to enter the curly single/double quotes into a short line in the document
and Copy/Paste them into the Replace box. I can take the text version of War and Peace from
Project Gutenberg and convert it into a completely formatted Styles based document in less
than thirty minutes - what's to complain about that?

> Using the Find and Repace method, any missed quotes will be picked up at proof-reading
stage. You don't proof read? Naughty, naughty!

IMPORTANT!!

If you wish to experiment with the Autocorrect and Find and Replace options I outlined earlier
(quoted above), until you become familiar with them, do PLEASE work on a copy document.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>