openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2013 05:17:07 GMT
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 05:08:25 +0100
Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com> wrote:

> At 22:20 22/06/2013 -0400, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> At 14:44 22/06/2013 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> >>Now if OO and LO are so great, why can't they deal with curly
> >>quotes and apostrophes in imported text? I have to go thru and fix
> >>all the damned inch marks one by one by hand. WordPerfect can do
> >>that automatically. Not only that, it can differentiate between
> >>quote marks and real inch and foot designators. Let's see your OO/LO do that!
> >
> >I am not sure what this is since I have never had any particular
> >difficulty dealing with these things.... though I am not sure how
> >one can understand that a particular single quote is an "inch mark"
> >as opposed to a non-curly double quote.
>
> I think the reference to an "inch mark" is simply a way of
> identifying your (typewriter-style) "non-curly" double quote.
>
> But Mr McGarrett does have a point, I think.  OpenOffice Writer will
> replace typed single and double quotes with what it calls custom
> quotes quite efficiently as you type.  But if you have existing
> straight quotes in a document (perhaps in an inherited document or in
> text pasted in from elsewhere), there appears to be no easy way to
> apply that intelligence after the event.  You could replace a
> straight quote with a curly one, but you'd have to select manually
> the individual cases where you needed open and close quotes: you
> cannot at this stage invoke Writer's ability to use its intelligence
> about this.  In some other word processors (dare I mention Microsoft
> Word if I promise to wash my mouth out?), you can merely replace
> straight quotes with straight quotes: replacement is treated the same
> way as typing, the same intelligence is invoked, and curly quotes of
> the appropriate handedness are substituted en masse.

If text is set to Default Paragraph style, either entire document or a selection, with no
applied direct formatting, /Format /Autocorrect /Apply or /Format /Autocorrrect /Apply and
Edit Changes will apply the autocorrect options as if one were typing.

Inbuilt Find and Replace will allow searching/replacing Styles.

Also inbuilt Find and Replace will allow one to do a few selective searches for quotes. Leading
double quotes usually occur after a paragraph mark or a space, and trailing quotes after a
.?!. So some selective F&R operations can sort the single/double quotes quickly.  Extension
AltSearch is a more powerful Search engine (recommended).

One tip: in many versions (all? I haven't checked) of OpenOffice it can be difficult (impossible?)
to insert a curly quote into the Replace box from /Insert /Special Characters.  I find it
easiest to enter the curly single/double quotes into a short line in the document and Copy/Paste
them into the Replace box. I can take the text version of War and Peace from Project Gutenberg
and convert it into a completely formatted Styles based document in less than thirty minutes
- what's to complain about that?

Using the Find and Repace method, any missed quotes will be picked up at proof-reading stage.
You don't proof read? Naughty, naughty!

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>