openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: [Possible values for n]
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 02:37:50 GMT
At 18:22 21/06/2013 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
>I realize that a variable can take any value, but some mathematical
>functions limit the possible values.

Oh, indeed!

>... I thought this particular function was stated as Sigma 1 to n =
>n*(n + 1) / 2 (where n > 1).

It also works for n = 1, so n >= 1 is probably better.

>You don't really have a series if n is not > 1.

Indeed: the original question asked to include numbers (i.e., in this
case, integers) from 1 up to n.  You can't really count up from 1 to
0, or to any fractional value, or to negative values.

>If you did allow the series to run backward (from 1 to 0) you would
>get Sigma 1 to 0 = 0 * 1 / 2 which evaluates to 0.

Depending on how you defined your function, you could choose to
include that as a permitted result.  Apparently that's what the
questioner wants.

Brian Barker