openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extending the life of an older desktop machine by installing OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 23:57:00 GMT
On 05/22/2013 05:20 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2013-05-22 2:18 PM Dan Lewis wrote:
>> For example, I have a MacBook that was one of the early Intel based
>> motherboards. It runs OS X 10.4. It is too old to run any of the
>> current OS X operating systems
>
> The first generation MacBook (Model Identifier: MacBook1,1) will run
> OS X ver. 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). 2nd generation and newer will run
> Ver. 10.7 (Lion)
>
>> (cost too much even if it could).
>
> Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Costs $19.99 from the Apple store. Is that
> too expensive? Lion is the same price but requires Snow Leopard to be
> installed on your computer.
      A few years ago, I talked with the people in the local Apple store
after Leopard came out about the cost of upgrading. I was informed that
I would have to pay for Tiger and Leopard. That came to $360 (180 each).
That seems too much for two upgrades. Besides I prefer to do a clean
install with a complete operating system rather than an upgrade. Perhaps
the prices at the Apple store have changed since then, but the sales
personnel had the wrong attitude as far as I am concern. So they have
lost a potential customer.
      So, I may be wrong about the current practices of the Apple store.

--Dan