openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EPUB from OpenOffice
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 22:48:02 GMT
On 05/10/2013 04:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/10/2013 04:27 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> I can't answer that in any detail; later this year I will have occasion to
>>> convert a book text to some form of epub and will have to read  up the
>>> intricacies of Calibre's .odt conversion.  I am aware that it can be fine
>>> tuned to pick up and convert many of the formattings in the .odt, but
>>> haven't looked into that in depth yet. Any form of format conversion usually
>>> entails decision making about the compromises involved; a text formatted for
>>> (say) a US Letter page may not adjust immediately to the reduced and dynamic
>>> page/textflow of an ereader.
>>       What I have found that works rather well is to use Calibre to convert
>> ODT to ePUB. Then I use Sigil to clean up the underlying html files. I use
>> these settings in Sigil's Preferences in the Clean Source section: HTML
>> Tiddy, Open, Save, and Replace all files.
> Hi Dan,  Does that workflow you describe preserve the Table of
> Contents from the document, so it becomes a proper TOC in EPUB, not
> list a list of hyperlinks?
>
> -Rob
      I would think the answer is yes, but it depends upon what you mean
by "proper TOC". It is a list of the headings used in the document in
the form of hyperlinks. When one of these is clicked, you are taken to
the selected heading. Each level of the TOC has a style applied to it
that has at least two properties: font size, and left margin. So, the
TOC contains indentations that are determined by the level of a
particular heading.
      I'm not sure if this answers your concerns. If you want, I could
convert a copy of AOO3_4_chapter_template1.odt and send it to you
off-line. I have the template so it is no problem creating the odt file
from it.

--Dan