openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EPUB from OpenOffice
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 19:26:53 GMT
       The Webinar mentioned later is an hour long infomercial about the
eBook Evolution product. There were also a general outline of the
process that was very general in nature. I'm not sure if there was
anything in it that could not be learned from other sources, but the
general ideas presented might help someone. Perhaps the free seminars
might be more specific.
      As far as the link to the free brown bag webinars, the outline of
the two webinars available at the link below contains some of the same
information found in the ultimate-ebook webinar that I watched from the
second link. Neither link seems to give enough information for it to be
useful to me.
      Disclaimer: I use Linux as my OS exclusively, so none of this
information is of any use to me that I can see.
      Perhaps an ODT template can be developed by a person for AOO that
could be used with Calibre to create an ePUB document that has fairly
clean code. This could then be used by people who only use Linux.

--Dan

> Pamela Wilson provides some free seminars on making ebooks,
> <http://www.bigbrandsystem.com/free-brown-bag-webinars/#3>.
>
> Apache OpenOffice Writer is featured as the preferred authoring too.  The bundled materials
that are for sale include ODT templates.  There is also guidance and explanation of what it
takes to format for EPUB and have good results.  EPUB formats are restricted and attempting
to make a heavily styled document is not a good idea.  The proposed approach works for submissions
of Kindle books also.

> The associated materials are not inexpensive, in the $100-$200 US range.  They are intended
for folks who are serious about publishing or who want to provide authoring services to others.
 After the initial expense, there is no reuse limitation and there are no royalty obligations,
however.  Calibre for creating eReader-ready format.  There is an assumption that folks are
using Windows or Macintosh OSX.

> There's an On-Demand Webinar for eBook Evolution that is recommended for folks who are
not professional authors/writers as well.  I presume that it features the eBook Evolution
package that is offered as a product.  I haven't explored this:
>   <http://www.bigbrandsystem.com/ultimate-ebook-kickstart/>.
>
>   - Dennis

a book text to some form of epub and will have to read  up the intricacies of Calibre's .odt
conversion.  I am aware that it can be fine tuned to pick up and convert many of the formattings
in the .odt, but haven't looked into that in depth yet. Any form of format conversion usually
entails decision making about the compromises involved; a text formatted for (say) a US Letter
page may not adjust immediately to the reduced and dynamic page/textflow of an ereader.