openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EPUB from OpenOffice
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 10:53:16 GMT
On 05/10/2013 04:27 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2013 02:31:33 -0500
> Tamblyne <tamblyne@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/2/2013 4:01 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> I've done very little by way  of conversion to electronic formats; I
>>> found Calibre very satisfactory.  It converts to many (all?) eformats
>>> directly from OpenOffice .odt files (from other formats also), and
>>> manages one's library on the ereader.  Certainly worth
>>> investigation.
>> I finally had a chance to try this, and while I love the other aspects
>> of Calibre, the conversion to epub wasn't great as regards it's handling
>> of the styles.  So -- to convert do you need a document without any
>> formatting?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tam
> I can't answer that in any detail; later this year I will have occasion to convert a
book text to some form of epub and will have to read  up the intricacies of Calibre's .odt
conversion.  I am aware that it can be fine tuned to pick up and convert many of the formattings
in the .odt, but haven't looked into that in depth yet. Any form of format conversion usually
entails decision making about the compromises involved; a text formatted for (say) a US Letter
page may not adjust immediately to the reduced and dynamic page/textflow of an ereader.
      What I have found that works rather well is to use Calibre to
convert ODT to ePUB. Then I use Sigil to clean up the underlying html
files. I use these settings in Sigil's Preferences in the Clean Source
section: HTML Tiddy, Open, Save, and Replace all files.
      We had a post that mentioned Tiddy in a web article in which the
author mentioned that using his method to clean up the code while
converting OTD to ePUB. The only problem with the article is that there
seems to be no information on the web for how to install Tiddy on Ubuntu
(the OS that I use). Sigil seems to install and use Tiddy to clean up
the code.
      FYI: The conversion of ODT to ePUB involves converting a single
ODT file to multiple HTML files based upon your settings in Calibre.
These files are zipped along with other information, and the zipped file
is given the ePUB suffix.

--Dan