openoffice-users mailing list archives

From James Knott <james.kn...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: Extending the life of an older desktop machine by installing OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 16:52:39 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Have you extended the life of an older PC or Mac by installing
> OpenOffice and other open source packages?

I have on occasion used an older computer by installing Linux on it and
that install would include Open Office or Libre Office.  Linux tends to
run better than Windows on older hardware.  In general, I try to avoid
proprietary software whenever possible.  I have never had occasion to
use a Mac.  I also encourage friends & family to use open source
software whenever possible.  About 10 years ago, I worked for a company
that used Open Office, but I figured it was because they were too cheap
to pay for anything they could avoid. ;-)