openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Zooming in
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 17:23:37 GMT
On Wed, 8 May 2013 10:18:56 -0700
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> Some touchpads are sensitive to side pressure.
>
> So if you rest the heal of your hand on the laptop surface near the touchpad, it might
determine there is some touchpad contact that you don't intend.

> Also, some touchpad software can have special functions on the edges of the touchpad
area.  Those can usually be disabled going into the touchpad configuration/properties on the
operating system.

> I have also seen problems of inability to maintain pointer position, and these tend to
be sporadic.  One thing to do with OpenOffice installed is disable the quick-start functionality
and see if that helps.  I don't think OO is the problem but it might be a case of too many
applications hooked into the input stream.  Also, on Windows laptops, you might check to see
what applications are in your startup list and see what ones you can disable without any consequence.
 These will usually be identified as from non-Microsoft sources.  Custom screen savers and
such, also screen capture utilities might be disturbing things.

>  - Dennis

I have recently seen a review of a laptop which commented on the fact that if the laptop was
not standing evenly on its four feet, the chassis flexed and gave spurious signals from the
touchpad.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>