openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resetting User Profile
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 02:06:46 GMT
On 2013-04-02 7:42 PM Janis Langins wrote:
> As a computer illiterate, I painfully tried to follow Hagar's suggestion to reset the
user
> profile (I have Windows XP) and got into Folder Options and then File Types where there
were
> a lot of OpenOffice.org 1.1  Configuration Files, each with a different extension, usually
of
> the form S** or X**.  No sign of anything saying Path.  Should these be deleted?  If
so,
> which ones?
> Janis Langins

Obviously you misread the instructions. I excerpted the specific ones for Windows XP.

1. First close OpenOffice, including the Quickstarter (blue seagulls icon in system tray)
if
activated.

    NB: make sure that there is no soffice.bin process in the task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc
    under Windows). Kill them if needed.

2. Open your file browser and display the hidden files and folders.

    Windows: open Windows Explorer. Click Organize>Folder and Search Options or Tools>Folder
    Options (depending on Windows version). Click the View Tab and check the radio button
Show
    hidden files, folders and drive. Click OK (screenshot in this post).

3. Rename the \user folder to \user.old for example. This way, you still keep a backup of
your
configuration.

    Location of \user folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user
      <user name> is your operating system login name (your identification when you
start a
    session on your computer). Don't look for a 'user name' folder.

4. Restart OpenOffice, it will create a new profile (a new \user folder is created).

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com