openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 40 million download mark for Apache OpenOffice 3.4.
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:28:54 GMT
On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Virgil Arrington <cuyfalls@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Downloads are easy to measure. Installations and removals aren't.

We're very sensitive to user privacy concerns.   AOO 3.4.0 and beyond do
not even have user registration steps during install.  So, as you say, we
don't have the means to count installs.  But we do have many years of data
on downloads, including data back to the OpenOffice.org days.   Although we
cannot equate downloads with installs, knowing the number of downloads, and
the trend in that number, is useful information.

And this is hardly novel.  Microsoft and others reports sales, not installs.

-Rob