openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Opening an existing document
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:17:17 GMT
At 12:34 10/04/2013 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
>In previous versions of OOo, when an existing document was opened in
>writer (I don't know about other components), it was opened at the
>same place in the document where it was closed the time before.  I
>find that function rather useful and do not understand why it has
>been eliminated.  Would it be possible to get it back?

This is not an answer to your question, but there are two facilities
useful as workarounds: reminders and bookmarks.  Set reminders by
opening the Navigator and clicking the (paper clip) Set Reminder
icon.  Set bookmarks at Insert | Bookmark... or again through the
Navigator.  You can get back to bookmarks and reminders in various
ways, using the Navigator or the Navigation toolbar (which are
different things).  It is a good idea to get used to exactly how to
use these, which is perhaps not well explained in the help
text.  Note that - once you have configured it - you can use the
effect of the Navigation toolbar directly from the three buttons at
the bottom of the vertical scroll bar.  Probably the simplest way to
return to a bookmark is to right-click in the Page Number field at
the left of the Status Bar (at the foot of the window) and select the
appropriate (named) bookmark from the context menu.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker