openoffice-users mailing list archives

From d...@nixsyspaus.org
Subject Re: Clarification of Public Documentation License 1.0
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:57:36 GMT
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 02:26:40PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM, <diro@nixsyspaus.org> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Could someone of proper standing submit the PDL:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html
> >
> > to the OSI:
> >
> > http://opensource.org/approval
> >
> > for review and clarification of this license?
> >

> 1. It is a documentation license, not a source code license, so I don't see
> this as being relevant to the OSI.  For example, I don't believe OSI has
> reviewed/approved the Creative Commons licenses or the GNU Free
> Documentation License either.
>
> 2.  The PDL was originally from Sun Microsystems.  They don't exist
> anymore, and we're not using that license in the Apache OpenOffice project
> for any new work.  Everything will be Apache License 2.0, code and
> documentation, in the future.
>
> So I don't think anyone has the standing or interest to take this to the
> OSI, and I'm not sure the OSI even wants to deal with documentation
> licenses.
>
> Is there any other way we can help you?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Thank you, Mr. Weir. I am copying this message to <licensing@fsf.org> to have
their reviewal instead to see if it can be listed here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#DocumentationLicenses

The goal is to verify if it can be one of the default acceptable licenses for
use with pkgsrc (http://pkgsrc.org) - which is to say OSI/FSF-approved
licenses.