openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open Office/Star Office
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:12:07 GMT
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Girvin R. Herr
<girvin.herr@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> There is still a StarOffice website http://staroffice.com/ .  However, it
> doesn't look like the website offering (StarOffice 9) has kept up with
> OpenOffice and is far behind.  It also does not look like they are offering
> paid support.

How many times do I have to repeat this? ;-) Ok, here I go again:

It´s no wonder the LO camp was able to spread as much FUD as they did
("evil Sun, Evil Oracle"), when people isn´t even aware of the
dual-licensing model Sun had for StarOffice-OpenOffice development...

1. In the beginning, there was a German firm dubbed Stardivision Gmbh.
They produced a cross-platform office suite dubbed "StarOffice" which
ran -back then- on platforms like Windows 3.1x (16-bit windows),
Windows 95 (32-bit windows), OS/2 (32-bit IBM OS/2 Warp), and
Linux/Unix too.

2. Sun bought Stardivision Gmbh. First making StarOffice "freeware"
(StarOffice 5.1, 5.1a, and 5.2) and then open sourcing it, thus
creating OpenOffice.org.

3. Sun continued developing OpenOffice.org and StarOffice (the
commercial version of OO.o + proprietary add-ons like commercial
spellchecker and thesaurus, commercial clipart, commercial fonts), in
parallel. In a way, sales of StarOffice funded the OO.o development,
as most OO.o programmers were Sun employees.

StarOffice 6.0 = OpenOffice 1.0x
StarOffice 7 = OpenOffice 1.1 (+add-ons)
Staroffice 7u8 = OpenOffice 2.1 (+add-ons)
StarOffice 8 = OpenOffice.org 2.4 (+ add-ons)
StarOffice 9 = OpenOffice.org 3.x (+ add-ons)
Oracle Open Office = OO.o 3.3 (see below) + Oracle extensions. It was
offered as a free update/download to StarOffice 9.x customers.

4. Oracle bought Sun, and choose to rename "StarOffice" to "Oracle
Open Office" (without the .org), while continuing to develop OO.o (up
to 3.4 alpha AFAIR)

This is not different from IBM taking the Apache web server and
regularly building "IBM HTTP Server" based on Apache code
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/httpservers/

Then the LO freedom fighters did their magic, killing StarOffice in the process.

AFAIK, staroffice.com is not, and was never, an official web site from Sun.

The official web site was www.sun.com/staroffice

Which you can see archived here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20081217062402/http://www.sun.com/staroffice

and the official support forums were on forums.sun.com
http://web.archive.org/web/20090708160107/http://forums.sun.com/category.jspa?categoryID=52

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell