openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Open Office/Star Office
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 11:50:30 GMT
Hi,

On 05.03.2013 19:14, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2013/3/5 Christopher Skipp <skipp5@optimum.net>:
>> Hello, I wAS just wondering about Star Office, I believe it was a Sun
>> Microsystems product, but did it have any connection with Open Office?
>
> Yes, OpenOffice.org was the free version of StarOffice. There were
> some differences but very much of it were the same.

Minor correction:
StarOffice was Sun's commercial version of OpenOffice.org.

Best regards, Oliver.

>>   Is
>> it still available for sale or otherwise?  Thanks for your feedback.
>
> I don't think so.

Sun Microsystems ahd been acquired by Oracle soem years ago.
Thus, "StarOffice" became "Oracle Open Office".
In 2011, Oracle decided to be no longer involved in office productivity
development. Thus, "Oracle Open Office" vanished.

Best regards, Oliver.