openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Girvin R. Herr" <girvin.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Open Office/Star Office
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:57:04 GMT

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2013/3/5 Christopher Skipp <skipp5@optimum.net>:
>
>> Hello, I wAS just wondering about Star Office, I believe it was a Sun
>> Microsystems product, but did it have any connection with Open Office?
>>

> Yes, OpenOffice.org was the free version of StarOffice. There were
> some differences but very much of it were the same.

It is my understanding that StarOffice was the OpenOffice cash cow for
Sun.  So, when you purchased StarOffice, you got Sun support for a
specified amount of time, much like proprietary software products.

>>  Is
>> it still available for sale or otherwise?  Thanks for your feedback.
>>

> I don't think so.

There is still a StarOffice website http://staroffice.com/ .  However,
it doesn't look like the website offering (StarOffice 9) has kept up
with OpenOffice and is far behind.  It also does not look like they are
offering paid support.
Girvin Herr