openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PUBLIC TALK] request for input for my talk "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release 4.0"
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:25:14 GMT

From: Rory O'Farrell [mailto:ofarrwrk@iol.ie]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 09:18
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PUBLIC TALK] request for input for my talk "Apache OpenOffice - project status
and release 4.0"

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:11:40 +0100
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]
> I will give a talk on a German conference about Apache OpenOffice in mid
> April 2013 in Berlin. I had already mentioned this German conference in
> an earlier post [1]. The conference is about free office suite, mainly
> focused on Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice, and the OpenDocument file
> format.
> The title of my talk is "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release
> 4.0".
>
> In the first part I will present the continuation of the project at
> Apache and the actual project status. Some general remarks on the
> project structure and processes ("The Apache Way") will be included, I
> think. The main purpose of this part is to demonstrate how well
> OpenOffice evolves at Apache since the change the project had suffered
> in mid 2011. This will strengthen the confidence/trust in the project.
>
> The second part is about our planned 4.0 release. The intention of this
> part is to show how active the development of the product and the
> project is by talking about the changes and improvements we had made/are
> making for our planned 4.0 release.
>

> Now my _big_ request to you _all_.
> I am only one person and I have more or less a developer view on the
> product and the project. E.g., I am not active on all our mailing lists.
> On certain areas I have no deep insight.
> Thus, please provide me with information about the stuff that is going
> on in your area of interest.
> What are the key milestones which you had achieved for the project?
> What are your contributions for our coming 4.0 release?
> [If wanted I can name the corresponding contributor(s) in the
> presentation document.]
> The talk's length is 45 min. (30 min talk, 15 min Q&A) - I am able to
> fill the presentation with the stuff I know, but I strongly believe that
> in this case certain important stuff and details about the
> product/project will missing.
[ ... ]

You should mention the powerful style-based formatting and layout facilities of AOO and how
it has largely superceded Desk Top Publishing applications for non critical/non professional
document layout.  Most users/authors are now able to undertake their own layout and produce
competent looking documents using AOO.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>