openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "VA" <cuyfa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Page Number Question on Writer
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:52:29 GMT
I teach a class for paralegals in legal technology. I was utterly stunned
that the textbook did not include any information about styles in its
chapter on word processing. (Instead it explained the difference between
"save" and "save as.") So I included my own information about styles.

I wouldn't dream of writing a document without using styles. I will admit
that AOO's page styles take some getting used to, especially since its
completely foreign to the MS-Word model but once learned, they provide a
level of document control unmatched anywhere else.

Virgil

-----Original Message-----
From: James Plante
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:35 PM
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Page Number Question on Writer

Jeffrey,
Doug's workaround will do for the current document (which I assume you're
being bugged to provide yesterday.)
But do take the time to learn page styles from the references already
provided by others. It'll save you a world of trouble going forward,
especially if you chain them: Title Page's next page style is Author; Author
leads to TOCpage; TOCpage's "next style" is "First Page" and so on. Get that
down, and all you have to do is write; Writer takes care of the rest.

Styles are one of the main strengths of AOO, so pay attention to paragraph
and character styles, too. They can be very handy for quoted text, sidebars,
and tables among other things.

Regards,
Jim Plante