openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Open Office in Swedish
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:47:38 GMT
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/11/28 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Inger Rehn <inger.rehn@telia.com> wrote:
>>> I do not understand why I have to write in English - But, anyway, that is
>>> the core problem - I have been using Open Office for quite a few years -
>>> Now, there came a request to update the program - done it appears to be
>>> something apache - and it comes in English - I want it in Swedish or I will
>>> change to another program - An excuse of the Swedish site to instal Swedish
>>> files via Arkiv (yours file) does not work because the suptitle "guider
>>> (yours guides)" does not exist under the Arkiv title -
>>> Very disappointing and I ask for your immediate attention to solve this
>>> major problem
>>>

>> Hello Inger,
>>
>> As you probably know, Apache OpenOffice is a volunteer-led project.
>> So the coding, the tessting, even the user support on this mailing
>> list is done by volunteers.   We have volunteer translators as well.
>> We're making good progress on the Scandinavian languages.  Danish is
>> now done.  Norwegian Bokmål is close as well.  We'd like to release a
>> Swedish version of OpenOffice 3.4.1, along with Danish and Norwegian,
>> in January.  But we need volunteers to help with the translation and
>> testing.  We're close -- 95% done for Swedish.
>>
>> If you are interested in this, or know someone who can help, you can
>> find more information here:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/translate.html
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Unfortunately it seems like most of the Swedish translators moved to
> LibreOffice, which is a shame, because LibreOffice is crap these days.
> For every new feature they introduce a dozen of bugs which will never
> be corrected. Something like that, anyway. I was planning to go back
> to OpenOffice, but I'd like to have it in Swedish, so maybe not… :(

Sweden has a population of almost 10 million people.  The fact that a
handful of translators went on direction or another doesn't really
matter.  If there is sufficient demand for a high quality Swedish
translation of Apache OpenOffice then we will have one.  It does not
require extremely rare skills. There are probably 50,000 people in
Sweden who could do this if they wanted to.

-Rob