openoffice-users mailing list archives

From M Henri Day <mhenri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: StarOffice (was RE: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232)
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:21:31 GMT
2012/11/29 Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> > wrote:
>
> > StarOffice was not spun out.  Oracle continued with an Oracle Open Office
> > for a time.  They seem to have concluded that was not a sustainable
> > business.
> >
> >  - Dennis

I suspect, Fernando, that «the freedom fighters» at LO would find that your
description of events had omitted a significant detail - i e, that Oracle's
«development» of OO.o was half-hearted at best and that that that was why
they decided to create a fork, as nothing much seemed to be happening under
Oracle's leadership. The fact that so many of the OOo developers went over
to TDF would seem to corroborate this version....

Your quote from Eric Arthur Blair is apt, but remember, telling the truth
means telling the *whole* truth (insofar as that can be done), not
cherry-picking the convenient parts....

Henri