openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Maurice Howe" <maur...@stny.rr.com>
Subject RE: Open Office in Swedish
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:12:52 GMT
I am continually impressed with the tact and courtesy with which your
dedicated OpenOffice staff responds to being yelled at from every direction.
Somehow you manage to keep your cool, for the most part.  And in spite of it
all, you find time to improve an already-quality line of products  Bless
you.

Maurice Howe
[A user, not a developer]

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:02 PM
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Open Office in Swedish

On 28/11/2012 M Henri Day wrote:
> Unlike in the case of AOo, where the latest stable version, 3.4.1
> still remains unavailable in Swedish, LibreOffice 3.6.3, the latest
> stable version of LO, is available in *ärans och hjältarnas språk*....

This is widely repeated, but only partially true. We could package and
distribute OpenOffice in more than 100 languages tomorrow (so to say; of
course it would need some infrastructure work, but the translations are
there).

Swedish is at 95% in OpenOffice (which means 96% after the, now useless,
TestTool strings are removed) and at 96% in LibreOffice, as one can find
from the respective Pootle statistics. Of course, these numbers are not very
significant since they should be taken at release time, but this is what I
could find now.

So, for the vast majority of languages, this is only a matter of release
policy: so far, OpenOffice only releases translations where there are active
volunteers who bring the translation to 100%. We already have a couple of
volunteers working on Swedish, so I'm confident we can reach 100% and
release 3.4.1 in Swedish in January.

The recent post from Juergen at
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_reached_out_to
is quite informative in this respect.