openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Desirable new feature
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2012 17:22:11 GMT
At 21:07 23/11/2012 -0600, Joseph Domine wrote:
>Can an add-in for OO be developed (envisioned??) that would create a
>customized index of user selected words?

It already has.

>In one sense, it would be like the word list in a custom dictionary
>that gets built by the user one word at a time as s/he adds new
>words to the dictionary.  My thought was that it would result in a
>relatively small file since not all words would be indexed.  I would
>think it should include []every[] instance where the word occurs.

In a text (Writer) document,
o Go to Insert | Indexes and Tables > | Indexes and Tables... | Index/Table.
o For Type, select Alphabetical Index.
o Click OK.
o Select a word in the document.
o Go to Insert | Indexes and Tables > | Entry... .
o Tick "Apply to all similar texts" and then click Insert and Close.
o Repeat for other words.
o To update the index, either right-click in the index and select
Update Index/Table or go to Tools | Update > | Current Index or to
Tools | Update > | All Indexes and Tables or to Tools | Update > | All.

You can configure the appearance of the index.  If you want just the
word list, you could easily copy the index, use Paste Special to
paste an unformatted version elsewhere, and then use Find & Replace
to edit out parts you didn't want.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker