openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Base Conversion
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:06:09 GMT
On 11/29/2012 01:04 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Dan Lewis wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 08:00 AM, DeWayne McCarty wrote:
>>> I have a data base file created in MS Works. Is there a way to convert
>>> it to
>>> Open Office data base, without doing a new OODB design?
>>>   thank you
>>> DeWayne McCarty
>>      Probably not. Anything created by MS Works has to be converted to
>> either a MS Office program or to AOO.
>>      The first thing to do is to save the database file as a CSV (comma
>> separated version) format. Then you can use Base to connect to the CSV
>> file.
>>
>> --Dan
> Dan;
>
> If I remember correctly some versions of Works could convert to dbase
> which if I remember correctly can be accessed by AOO Base.
>
> Dwayne; Check if your version of Works will save the database as dbase
> format. If I can find it I will dig out my old copy of Works 4.5A and
> check it.
Keith,
      You are probably right. Of the two choices CSV files verses the
dBase ones, dBase is what should be used if at all possible. But if it
is not, a CSV file can be opened in Calc and then saved as a dBase file.
This is a second choice. Connecting CSV files using Base is at best a
some what poor third choices.

--Dan

--Dan