openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Page Number Question on Writer
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:59:00 GMT
On 11/28/2012 12:56 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>> On 11/28/2012 12:29 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm finalizing my eBook manuscript on Writer. The only thing left to
>>> do is set up Roman numeral page numbers for the first three pages
>>> (title page, about the author and table of contents) - or possibly
>>> only give the about the author and table of contents pages Roman
>>> numerals - and then Arabic numerals for the rest. Also, the Arabic
>>> numerals must start with 1.
>>>
>>> As a second-best solution, I'm willing to have the first three pages
>>> have no page numbers at all, as long as the rest have Arabic page
>>> numbers starting with 1.
>>>
>>> I've struggled with it and read over the relevant Help file more times
>>> than I care to count. Any help you can offer would be much
>>> appreciated. Thank you very kindly!
>>>
>>> Jeff Deutsch
>>> Speaker & Life Coach
>>> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
>>> http://www.asplint.com
>>>

>> An obvious work-around for the second-best solution:  Make the first 3 pages
>> a separate file without page numbers.  Or just write the Roman numbers at
>> the
>> bottom of each page, using center justification. Then the remainder will be
>> its
>> own file with page numbers starting at 1.  Now you can have most of the
>> "best"
>> solution. Two files doesn't sound like all that big a deal.
>>
>> --doug

> Hi Doug,
>
> Actually, I'd've already submitted them in four separate files - thing
> is, the recipient strongly prefers the manuscript in one file only.
>
> Anything you can suggest under that constraint would really help.
>
> Thank you for your courtesy!
>
> Jeff Deutsch
> Speaker & Life Coach
> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
> http://www.asplint.com
>
> Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
> (http://tonecheck.com)

       Page styles will give exactly what you want. The Writer Guide
discusses this topic rather thoroughly:
http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/WG3_published

       What you want is either WriterGuideV3-PDF.zip
<http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/WG3_published/WriterGuideV3-PDF.zip/view>

or
File 0200WG3-WriterGuide.odt
<http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/WG3_published/0200WG3-WriterGuide.odt/view>.