openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Catch 22 for Users of Remailers who Need to Unsubscribe [was: Re: PLEASE REMOVE ME]
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:34:36 GMT
@Tom,

That's an interesting theory.  I agree that remailers can present problems.  It doesn't seem
to be a sure thing.

I have always used a remailer.  orcmid@ apache.org is one.  dennis.hamilton@ acm.org is another.
 (And orcmid@ computer.org, but I haven't been using that.)  I have never had any problem
subscribing or unsubscribing.  Note that when I subscribe with one of these, all I do is use
an account that uses that e-mail address as the "From:".

I have had accounts that did not allow me to send as my forwarder account e-mail.  At the
moment, it seems to be working.  It may be that the barrier on your end is verizon.net, not
the list.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Panfil [mailto:tap.home@verizon.net]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 12:09
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Cc: tapanfil@ieee.org

Hello Moderators & List Members:

I think that there is a need for some additional way for people to
unsubscribe from the lists mechanized via instances of the system used
by this list.

People like me, who are members of professional societies like IEEE and
ACM which provide e-mail virus scanning and forwarding to the actual ISP
provided e-mail accounts of their members, tend to use those re-mailer
accounts for everything to get the two benefits:

  * Protection from viruses (to some degree).
  * Easy redirection of all of their incoming mail to a new ISP provided
    e-mail account if they should need to make a change.

The Catch-22 part of this is that they cannot send from those re-mailer
addresses, like my Reply-To address on this message.

So, should they need or want to unsubscribe from a list via the
mechanisms currently offered, they cannot unsubscribe.

I do *not* want to unsubscribe.  I'm learning from both the technical
questions being answered, and from seeing this terrible problem linger on.

The Open Source Community which uses the mail list exploder that this
project uses should prioritize enhancement of the mail list exploder SW
to enable unsubscribing by those who are subscribed via re-mailer
addresses.  This may help others too.

--
*v/r,
                Tom Panfil