openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: StarOffice (was RE: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232)
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:54:00 GMT
Thanks for the great history on StarOffice.  It would be nice to add that to a Wiki or Forum
article somewhere.

 - Dennis

PS: I'm not sure about the TSK TSK ... .  My intention was to answer the question asked.
Namely, (1) StarOffice was not spun out of Sun (or Oracle), and (2) Oracle subsequently abandoned
its commercial-support effort (after rebranding as Oracle Open Office).  I apologize if it
seemed I was saying anything more than that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Cassia [mailto:fcassia@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 15:11
To: users@openoffice.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: StarOffice (was RE: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232)

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> StarOffice was not spun out.  Oracle continued with an Oracle Open Office
> for a time.  They seem to have concluded that was not a sustainable
> business.
>
>  - Dennis

TSK TSK TSK...

1. In the beginning, there was a German firm dubbed Stardivision Gmbh. They
produced a cross-platform office suite dubbed "StarOffice" which ran -back
then- on platforms like Windows 3.1x (16-bit windows), Windows 95 (32-bit
windows), OS/2 (32-bit IBM OS/2 Warp), and Linux/Unix too.

2. Sun bought Stardivision Gmbh. First making StarOffice "freeware"
(StarOffice 5.2) and then open sourcing it, thus creating OpenOffice.org.

3. Sun continued developing OpenOffice.org and StarOffice (the commercial
version of OO.o + proprietary add-ons like commercial spellchecker,
commercial clipart, commercial fonts), in parallel.

StarOffice 6.0 = OpenOffice 1.0x
StarOffice 7 = OpenOffice 1.1 (+add-ons)
Staroffice 7u8 = OpenOffice 2.1 (+add-ons)
StarOffice 8 = OpenOffice.org 2.4 (+ add-ons)
StarOffice 9 = OpenOffice.org 3.x (+ add-ons)

4. Oracle bought Sun, and choose to rename "StarOffice" to "Oracle Open
Office" (without the .org), while continuing to develop OO.o (up to 3.4
alpha AFAIR)

This is not different from IBM taking the Apache web server and regularly
building "IBM HTTP Server" based on Apache code
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/httpservers/

Then the freedom fighters at TDF choose to do their LO fork and we know how
that ended -or more appropiately, what that caused-. After OO.o had lost
half its devs (that´s my estimate) Oracle decided to kill its Oo.o dev and
the future of StarOffice along with it .

So, StarOffice is dead. Thank you, LO...

FC
PS: I ran StarOffice since version Stardivision StarOffice v3.1 for OS/2
and up to StarOffice 9 for Linux/Windows.

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell