openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject StarOffice (was RE: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232)
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:37:27 GMT
StarOffice was not spun out.  Oracle continued with an Oracle Open Office for a time.  They
seem to have concluded that was not a sustainable business.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Girvin R. Herr [mailto:girvin.herr@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 14:25
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: users Digest 28 Nov 2012 19:50:51 -0000 Issue 232

There is also another fork - StarOffice, the predecessor of OpenOffice.
http://staroffice.com/
Way back before OpenOffice, Sun purchased StarOffice from Star Division
and then made it open source as OpenOffice. The last I heard, Sun
Microsystems was still developing StarOffice as their income product,
where they sold it and bundled support in with it. Now I do not see any
connection between StarOffice and Oracle. Did Oracle get StarOffice when
they bought Sun or did Sun or Oracle spin it off? [ ... ]

[ ... ]