openoffice-recruitment mailing list archives

From David Larson <dyna...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Introduction of: R J Wahl
Date Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:45:25 GMT
I use openoffice portable so its handy when I need it but out of the way (not using computer
resources when I don't use it).  I do the same with the chrome browser as it launches too
many processes for my tastes.   I don't use Microsoft Office as its too integrated with the
OS.  I want my computer to be like a transformer Lamborghini not  an overburdened bus. I put
32gb of ram in each of my computers and I still feel that way as I have my own plans for the
data space.

One slightly annoying behavior of openoffice to fix is sometimes when I start it the first
time it complains about needing to clean up and quits before starting but it works the second
time I try, however then it tends to state it is recovering documents I last worked on when
I already have them saved and puts them into a read only state.  In addition, there is document
formats that probably need to be added. On the ancient side, there is Wordstar which I discovered
I still have old resumes written in and have to resort to a different tool to recover their
valuable content.  On the current side, I am suspicious that the latest Word like formats
supported are getting stale with the Office fans out there.  Hopefully these are not beyond
our reach.   I don't personally care about spreadsheet file formats at this time as I only
use them for my own experiments nor for presentation formats usually although I may care for
those soon.   I do care about some recent new spreadsheet misbehaviors with moderately sized
data sets I have been seeing which I don't like... mostly regarding auto filters that cause
weird results that are difficult to undo.  This problem interferes with my efforts to develop
the information I need for a special new kindle book on SQL. Do we have a comprehensive list
of the latest formats, bugs, and important features that should be supported but may not be?

Note I am willing to use github for public projects and I am using Atlassian Bitbucket for
my private projects as I can have 4 coworkers in it for free in that we can use to get started
saving the world from data overload.