openoffice-recruitment mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Introduction and a project
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:14:52 GMT
On 2/10/2017 11:02 AM, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> LibreOffice has been translating those German comments as a multi-year effort
> and just recently they managed to complete the translation.
> For this purpose, the used the following script to identify if a
> comment is likely to be in German
> and flag it for manual translation,
> https://github.com/LibreOffice/core/blob/master/bin/find-german-comments
>
> It is a big task to deal with the comments, because a volunteer needs to be both
> fluent in German and know how to read C++ code.
>
> While code from LibreOffice cannot be transfered to AOO unless the
> author grants their permission,
> is that the same with comments?

I would assume, if there is no evidence to the contrary, that the
comments are under the same license as the rest of the file, and
therefore cannot be transferred.

We have decided against bulk translation at this time. Instead, anyone
reading the code who needs comments translated requests it through the
Bugzilla entry. So far, anything I've needed has been translated within
days of filing the request.

The advantage is that the limited time of people with the natural
language and programming language skills is only used on files that are
being read, not on the hundreds of files nobody is looking at.