openoffice-doc mailing list archives

From HP <theca...@aim.com>
Subject Re: Is it time to re-evaluate the viability of internal documentation?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:16:56 GMT
On 03/28/2014 10:19 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:06 AM, HP <thecarpy@aim.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guyz,
>>
>> I hope you are OK with me intervening here, I am "pretty new" to this
>> thing.
>>
>> I think we need to, as a team, focus on one specific guide or per chapter.
>> Split the work by chapter, once you have finished yours, ask if others need
>> help.
>> Maybe we could have someone check the Writer guide, for a start. I am not
>> even sure where all this stuff is located in wiki.
>
> The "new" guides are here:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide
>

>> I have only just started and made very minor edits because I am trying to
>> get used to the style and stuff.
>>
>> I am an experienced tech writer, with a consultant background. I do not
>> have tons of time, but can help out here and there.
>>
> My primary interest at the moment is with the "internal" help. Like you, I
> am just getting started with that.  When I get a bit further along, I hope
> to share some ideas.
>
> Out of curiosity, what documentation tools have you worked with or prefer?

I have worked with SAP KW, Arbotext XML, oXygenXML (XML editing and
XSLT), docbook, xslt, xsl-fo, JSPWiki, vim and a bunch of other unix
command line utils, subversion, cvs ...
Currently, I author in vim using JSPWiki style syntax and produce a 2000
page book ... without counting the generated apidocs. I author the XSL
in oXygenXML and use renderx for xslfo PDF generation. I use sed, awk,
and grep quite a lot.

I used to author XML directly ... spent more time formatting than
actually writing content, then you have the Word/Arbotext crap where you
have to live in formatting hell. Keeping formatting simple makes
everything easier, especially if you have to change the styling.

>> I think we need some structure somewhere, what do you think ? Just me two
>> cents ;-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> HP
>>

>> On 03/22/2014 11:01 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Dave <davepolit@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>   I'm not sure, but possibly the first step would be to have a list of all

>>>   On 22 March 2014 17:54, Keith N. McKenna <keith.mckenna@comcast.net>

The