openoffice-doc mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Draft of Documentation "Orientation Module"
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2013 19:22:41 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Keith N. McKenna
> <keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Let me know if there is anything that should be added.  Maybe ask
>>> yourself:  What should every documentation volunteer want to know
>>> before getting started?
>>>
>> Since you have mentioned the mwiki twice, once specifically saying that
>> there would be an assignment to get a wiki account, there should be
>> something in the module around how to get an mwiki account.
>>

> Yes, that is missing.  I added an list of accounts to sign up for,
> including MWiki and CWiki, as well as the mailing list.
>
> Would it make sense for new volunteers to also sign up for a Bugzilla
> account?   I suppose it depends on where we ask users to report
> errors.  We could have them:
>
> 1) Enter bug reports in Bugzilla

I like the idea of using Bugzilla as it creates a track-able record that
is less likely to be overlooked. The hesitation I have is that its
complexity can make it daunting to the average user. This is especially
so in how to construct a search. I am not a novice in dealing with
databases, but I have to admit the intricacies of a Bugzilla search
often escape me.

Possibly a combination of 1 and 2 might be what is needed such that a
user has the option of getting a Bugzilla account and submitting and
issue, or they send it to the list and one of the list members can
submit the formal issue to Bugzilla.

> 2) Send to this mailing list

This may be a reasonable short term way of handling issues as the list
is small enough at the moment that things are not likely to be
overlooked. I have concerns as the number of volunteers and the amount
of work we produce grows it could become unmanageable.

> 3) Use the Talk page on the wiki, or make the changes themselves.

I believe the use of the Talk pages for each wiki article should be used
as the first point of contact between the author and  other members of
the documentation group to discuss ways to make the particular article
better. I am less sanguine about it being a manageable way to handle
general user issues.

Regards
Keith