openoffice-doc mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss]Call for volunteers [Was: Re: Starting to build the user guide]
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:54:54 GMT
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/2/2 RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com>
>
>> 2013/1/27 RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com>
>>

>>> Maybe we can do the call on two steps, calling first on the forums and
>>> users mailing list for people with experience on the program (on the forums
>>> there are many experienced users) and only afterwards make a more general
>>> call: to write a complete user guide good will is not enough.
>>>

>> I'll send a call to the EN forums on a couple of days. The main message
>> should be:
>>
>> if you are an experimented user, help us to write
>> if you are a new user, help us to test what it is written
>> if you are a non native English speaker, don't worry: we have editors
>>
>> Tomorrow I'll try to write it down on a nice way.
>>

> I did the call on the forums two weeks ago... without success. I think it's
> time for a broad call for volunteers: I'm getting quite close to the limits
> of what I can write.

Do you have a link to the forum post?  I can try turning it into a blog post.

> BTW, someone needs to review the last article about B├ęzier curves on Draw
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Draw/Tools/Bezier
>
> I'm quite sure that it displays the worst English of which I'm capable ;)

It is not clear to me what the workflow is with the editing.   For example:

1) How do I know what pages need editing?  How do I know whether
someone else has already started editing a page?

2) Do pages need technical review (verifying steps, etc.) as well as
editing?  If so, in what order?

Maybe this already exists, and it already exists, but it might help to
have a series of page tags for things like:

1) This page is being drafted by XXX and is not ready for review yet

2) This page has been drafted and is ready for editing

3) This page is currently being edited by XXX

4) This page is done editing and is ready for technical review

5) This page is being reviewed by XXX for technical contents

6) This page is ready for final review/approval

7) This page is approved for publication

Or is this overkill?  But I think there is the very practical
question:  if we have more volunteers how do we coordinate so we're
not duplicating effort?

-Rob