openoffice-doc mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: Getting started on the documentation project
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:50:04 GMT
On 01/29/2013 08:39 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> I went to the Documentation pages and they do give some help venues on how
> to contribute. Including Wiki edit guidelines.

Do you feel that it is sufficient to direct people that desire to
volunteer there and then they are ready to go? I followed a few links,
and it was telling me how ODF desires that I setup my system for
consistent screen shots.

I am thinking about a simple, "How can I get started with
documentation?". This might point to a bunch of other links, but, it is
a start.

> The dashboard does suggest moving everything to the wiki:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard
>
> I think we could get some knowledge like creating wikibooks and how to
> contribute to wikibooks so the pages are not scattered or the links
> miswriten.
>
> I am sure is there, but is not easy to get there, we could add url to the
> wikibooks from the helpguide.

I don't expect a "first timer" to worry about creating "wiki books" (not
that I have any idea what that is), I expect them to write and fix
documentation. Now, if they must follow certain guidelines, so that what
ever the experts do with the material will work, then we should
reference that. With LibreOffice, the final books are assembled by only
a few people, while most people edit.

> Should tutorials have guidelines? At least tagged under a specified
> category.
Depends. If you intend to only have "official" tutorials then yes I
suppose so.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php