openoffice-doc mailing list archives

From louise forsberg <rikt...@yahoo.se>
Subject VB: Re: Proposal for Moving Forward with Documentation
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:21:22 GMT
this is a missunderstanding sorry do not understand why this is comeing to me

--- Den tis 2013-01-08 skrev RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com>:

Från: RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com>
Ämne: Re: Proposal for Moving Forward with Documentation
Till: doc@openoffice.apache.org
Datum: tisdag 8 januari 2013 13:12

2013/1/7 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

>  We have a small set of volunteers right now, but it should be easy to
> attract more if we do a "Call for Volunteers".  This worked very well
> for translators, marketing and QA, for example.  But what we learned
> there is that you really need to have a project structure in place
> before bringing in new volunteers.  Otherwise everyone just sits
> around, waiting for something to happen.

+1

> So this suggests the following steps:
>
> 1) Establish a basic list of deliverables for the AOO 4.0 time frame.
> Realistically, what should we aim for in the April/May time frame?
> Maybe think of this as a minimal goal, plus some "stretch goals" that
> we might be able to do if we have more volunteers.

I think we should aim for an online documentation on the wiki, with the
"basics" and maybe some "cheat sheets" for each component. Content is more
important than format and the wiki is the easiest way to involve more
people and get content ready in a short time.

> 2) Do some basic preparatory work for at least some of the deliverables,
> say:
>
> a) design the document templates

If we point to the wiki, templates for "real books" can be done later, but
there are other things we needs to agree on: for example, screenshots. If
every author take screenshots on their system we will end with a
very heterogeneous collection of OSs and desktop themes, giving a
very unprofessional look. In fact, if I read it right, using screen shots
taken on windows could not be completely "legal":

http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/Permissions/Default.aspx#ERG

"4.  Do not use screen shots that contain third-party content."

This and number 2 "Do not use portions of screen shots" are problematic. I
don't think they will ever make problems for this, but...

> b) define a table of contents or rough content outline for each core
> deliverable

We can start from this draft

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Details+on+Scenario+3#DetailsonScenario3-ProposedTOC

maybe focusing on the first two chapters for now.

> c) agree on what the workflow will look like:  authoring, editing,
> public review, translation, publication, etc.  We don't need 100%
> detail, but we need enough to have a meaningful agreement among
> ourselves what the process should look like.
>

> 3) Call for Volunteers -- By this point we've defined enough of a
> framework that we can bring in new volunteers without it being too
> chaotic.
>

> 4) Execute
>

> 5) Deliver
>

> Does this make sense?

Perfect sense! Thanks for starting this discussion.

Regards
Ricardo