openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Mirror OpenOffice
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2020 21:11:39 GMT

Am 09.10.20 um 11:54 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> [...]
not spread these links widely in public, so that there is not too much traffic.

> In other words this link is a link for situations where there are temporary problems
with Sourceforge and not a link that should be distributed as a normal, general download link.

> Or do I see it wrong? If yes, I would, from now on, publicly distribute this link as
a download link and would not refer to our download page anymore, which redirects to Sourceforge.

You have asked for an alternate DL Link. This is the alternate DL link.
If I were you I would promote both links. Let the user choose, and tell
the pros and cons if possible.

IMHO if you are unhappy with SF.net, or any other group we should
discuss alternates. I want to remind all PMC members that the PMC has
discussed alternate structures as backup or as full replacement to
SF.net in 2018. It got stuck and as much on the things we volunteers do,
it did not advance. But stuck does not mean we can not continue, if
there is interest.

We can also invite SF.net to discuss with our community ways on
improving the situation. Or explain the situation why it is as it is. We
can bring people together. Just as an alternate Idea. I am satisfied
with the service that SF.net provides to us.

The PMC has also discussed the Idea to accredit 3rd party pages. But we
never brought this to dev. If there are people interested to pick this
idea up I am sure we can discuss Ideas.

There are lots of Ideas within the community what we could do. It mostly
dies when there is no volunteer to take action. The PMC can not do
miracles. We should ask ourselves what we can do together and not what
this person or another person should do, for me. Ask yourself what you
can do for the Project ;) Even small things can cause a big difference.

> In other places the passing of the PMC is regularly viewed negatively.

Sure let them talk. They do not matter. If they are looking for
constructive improvement they can bring up their Issues on dev. Anything
else does not matter!