openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: about build environment development (was: declaring gbuild target dependencies)
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2020 13:15:11 GMT

> On Apr 15, 2020, at 3:01 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan@apache.org> wrote:
>

> We are also thin on new contributors, and I recall you saying they're
> largely scared off by the current build system.

Two points:

  1. I doubt that by the time we finish porting to a whole new build system, we will even
have anyone *wanting* to contribute. With each delay and push-out on releases, and more time
spent working on the build system instead of AOO itself, we become less and less relevant.
Is that really a priority we should be focusing on? Are the number of people knowledgeable
around scons really greater than what we have now? But I could be wrong, which leads me to
#2...

  2. "The conversion from gbuild to scons would largely be automated, fast and correct." If
that is the case, let's test that theory right now.