openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [status] Static webside migration
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2019 17:31:01 GMT
Hi -

Heads up that I’m starting to do the migration,

> Repos name must start with OpenOffice.
>
> I propose these:
>
> OpenOffice-DevWebsite
> OpenOffice-OrgWebsite

I’ll be tackling the project site first.

I plan to make use of https://S.apache.org/asfyaml so that we will have staging and production.

I may use the Apache CMS scripts for page generation. Infra-VP does not have trouble with
those being on a Jenkins or Buildbot node. I may use jBake which I’ve used with the Incubator
site. It may use both.

Changes will be done in GIT and the CMS WebGUI will not be used. Committers will be able to
change the git repos. There will be instructions on the local build as well. I’m starting
with the local build.

This will take sometime.

If someone wants to redesign our Websites Look & Feel then proposals welcome. I may play
with it myself...

Regards,
Dave

housecleaning on the www.openoffice.org web site due to size and no longer pertinent information.

>>> Not exactly. Here is the plan.
>>>
>>> (1) Copy OpenOffice.apache.org svn to a new git repository.
>>>
>>> (2) Learn to use the new infra supported yaml tags to try a few different build
techniques. I am familiar with JBake from the incubator build but Pelican is possible.

>>> (3) Finish the project site.
>>>
>>> (4) Rinse and repeat with the OpenOffice.org site

CMS capabilities in terms of page rendering, dealing with the many languages of the site etc.
to render the static content.
>>> We’ll figure that out.
>>>
>>> If someone wants to redesign the site we can work through it in parallel.
>>> The CMS is fragile and if it falls down it could become a blocking issue. Infra
will warm is if things are immanent. I did discuss our migration briefly with an infra person
at ACNA19.

I could certainly help in about a month with the "housecleaning" aspect of both sites assuming
they remain svn accessible for a while. But I'm assuming we might want archives of both even
before that. Yes?