openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: New computer
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2019 07:51:49 GMT
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 21:24:01 -0700
Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:

> Any opinions on which I should do?

I think concentration should be on 4.2.0, working towards a Windows 64 version;

Feedback from posters on the en-Forum indicates an increasing ignorance of computer skills
on the part of many new users and their inability to cope with the difference between 32 and
64 bit versions.  It would give AOO a better public profile if a new release of A00 provided
a 64 bit Windows version.

The Ubuntu linux distro seriously considered abandoning 32 bit support entirely; they changed
their mind recently, but the writing is on the wall for 32 bit computers.  AOO should move
with the times and fill their Windows 64 bit gap.

I use a 64 bit version on Xubuntu 18.04.3 so this does not impact on me.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>