openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jose R R <jose....@metztli.com>
Subject Re: A problem on OO Debian versions?
Date Mon, 01 Jan 2018 14:36:27 GMT
Andrea,

Issue is present in my computing environment, too.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 3:04 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>>
>> I have tested this on Xubuntu 16.04.3 (XFCE), Ubuntu 16.04.3 (Gnome),
>> Debian 9.30 (XFCE), all showing the same freeze.
>> On Centos 7 and Antergos 17.12 (RPM distros) ToC rebuilds in about 10
>> seconds.
>

> I wouldn't blame it on the package format, since DEB and RPM versions have
> actually the same content. You could even try an "archive/installed" build
> (which is basically what they would call a "live/portable" version today) to
> rule out that the package format is the issue.
>
> Buildbots probably supply archive builds: you could install (this means
> "unpack" actually, since it's just a ready-to-run installation tree) on your
> systems and check it. Let me know if you can't find them.
>
> Assuming the package format is not the issue, then this could be an
> interesting performance bug due to some Debian/Ubuntu libraries.

(Thanks, Rory)
> i.e., Right click on the Table of contents and change the level from 1 to 2 (or the other
way), and see how long it takes to re-build the Table of Contents

It took about 2 hours (roughly same amount of time it takes to build
my Linux kernels) and it uses significant computing resources.
I got 16Gigs of RAM yet I couldn't do anything in a previously open document.

I am copiously using DEB packages from stretch-backports, i.e., built
from newer source.

AMD64 architecture:
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=debian

kernel: custom-built from latest linux source
uname -a
Linux huitzilopochtli 4.14.0-2+reiser4.0.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
4.14.10-2+reiser4.0.2 (2017-12-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it