openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2018 17:48:18 GMT
FR web forum wrote:
> provided as office suite in Linux repositories.

It's their choice, driven by commercial interests in some cases.

Since they won't do the work, we take care of it (we actually always
did) by providing RPMs and DEBs that will run on most distributions.

One could make a further step and setup an official Yum repository (and
similar), and this would possibly be helpful to users since in that case
we could distribute updates to users together with the other system updates.

As for asking distributions to include OpenOffice again, they won't do
it with their own resources (they didn't even when the financial
situation of the backing companies was better) and we would have to do
all the work, hoping that they decide to use it. It's nice to have for
sure, just not one of the priorities I see at the moment: in the past I
thought it would be important to be in Linux distributions, but numbers
make it clear that Linux users know where to find OpenOffice.

Regards,
   Andrea.